Europe at Last!

First flight

My flight our of Wichita, Kansas

Waiting for Tony

Twenty Six hours after leaving Kansas, I make it to Hamburg, Germany. I’m waiting for my husband to meet me and we kept missing each other in the airport for more than an hour. I was a bit worried.

Tony's gift

When we did meet up Tony had a gift for me he bought in China. I’ve been wearing it practically everyday since he put it on me.

Paris honeymoon

Heading to Paris for our honeymoon just 8 months after the wedding.













I have always wanted to visit Europe but had never had the opportunity to do so. And now I was going to Europe, not for a vacation but to live in Denmark.

I flew into Hamburg, Germany because that was the closest large airport to where I would be living in Sønderborg, Denmark. My husband had actually been on a business trip to China for 3 weeks and was flying into the same airport about 30 minutes after me. We planned to meet at the baggage claim.

My flight arrived on time and I made it to the baggage claim and collected my bags and went off to the restroom to change and get cleaned up. I had been traveling for about 26 hours and was in need of some freshening up. I had just enough time to change clothes and fix my hair and make up and be ready when my husband should be making his way down to the baggage claim.

I walked out of the bathroom pushing my three suitcases and went back to my baggage carrousel prepared to sit and wait for my husband to arrive. I waited, and waited and waited some more. There was no sign of my husband. I went and checked and his flight had landed on time. So I found out what carrousel his bag would arrive at and went down to the other end of the baggage claim and found his carrousel. He was not there. I began to get a bit worried he might have missed his flight.

I sat down and tried texting on my cell phone. It would not go through. My phone was for service in the US and it wasn’t hooking up to WiFi in the baggage area. I tried pulling out my laptop but had the same issues. I had no idea how to get in touch with my husband and I was in a foreign country where I didn’t speak the language and didn’t know anyone. Great!

I decided to leave the baggage area. I wasn’t comfortable doing this since my husband told me to meet him at baggage claim and once I went through the security doors I couldn’t get back in but I really didn’t know what else to do. I took the plunge and left the baggage area to find a customer service desk where they might be able to page him.

I did find customer service and they paged for my husband a few time and still I did not find him. I decided the best bet now was to find a pay phone and call him. I started walking down the hall looking for a phone and near a sushi restaurant I found one. These are not like the phones in the states. I honestly had no idea how to make a call on this thing. The directions were in German. I didn’t have any euro coins for the call. I tried to connect to an operator but couldn’t get it to work. I was getting very frustrated at this point.

I started to walk away and happened to look over and see my husband standing about 20 yards away. There are two doors that lead out of the baggage claim area. I had walked out of the one my his carrousel. He was standing outside the doors to the baggage claim near my carrousel. I stood there for a moment just looking at him looking at the doors waiting for me. I was never so relieved and happy to see anyone in my life. Just then he turned and saw me. We both smiled this, “holy crap, thank God” kind of smile and started walking toward each other.

There were many moments of hugs and kisses and I love yous and I can’t tell you how happy I am to see yous, etc. I asked him if we were ready to go home and he said not just yet. Tony had a gift for me from China. He brought me a necklace of a heart inside of a circle. After helping me put it on he handed me a piece of paper. I had to read it a few times to get what it was. It was a confirmation for two to Paris. 8 months after getting married, we were getting our honeymoon. Can you see why I love this man?

Tony said we would grab something to eat, go out to his car and repack so we each just had one carry on case and then we would head back in to go to Paris for 3 days. We followed his plan and 7 hours later we were stepping off a plane in Paris, France. My first day in Europe I ended up in Germany and France and had my first passenger train ride.


Up Next: Oh my God I’m in Paris!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s